Draft Minutes for 2019 Annual Andover District Meeting held at Highclere 11th January 2020 at 3.30pm

Draft Minutes for 2019 Annual Andover District Meeting

held at Highclere

11th January 2020 at 3.30pm

Officers attending: Peter Niblett (PN), Chair; Ros Brandwood (RB), Treasurer; Helen Piper (HP), Ringing Master; Maggie Hiller (MH), Secretary; Eve Lind Smith (ELS), Vice Chair.

Other Andover Members:  Mike & Lucy Hopkins Till, Gill Gardner, Helen Thomas, Carol Waller, Sarah Cooney, Mike Winterbourne, Alec Gray, Matthew Holbrook & Alice, Ken Porter, Chris Pack, Deidre Kenny.

Other Guild Members: Christine Knights-Whittome, Pete Jordan, Lin Jordan.

 

  1. Welcome and Vote of Thanks

Remembering those District ringers who passed away in 2019

Maurice Dodd – ringer at Highclere.  Jen Saunders – ringer at Longparish.

 

  1. Apologies

Received from Louise Wodehouse of Clatford; Martin Newbury, Tim Pink, Janet Larkin of Kingsclere; Brian Oakes, Ken Waller, Roger Thomas of St. Mary Bourne.

  1. Acceptance of 2018 ADM Minutes. (Whitchurch 12.1.19)

The minutes copies of which had been distributed previously were agreed.

Proposed – Peter Niblett              Seconded – Gill Gardner                All in agreement     Signed by PN (Chair)

    1. Matters Arising

a. WW1 events – these were covered in the Half-yearly meeting held at Whitchurch in July 2019.

b. GDPR – A list of those District members wanting to be included has been compiled.

Guild President, Peter reported that a new policy and agreed at the Exec meeting in November 2019.

To be distributed by District secretary to all towers.  Any queries to be followed up by secretary.

c. ADM Format

Comments from the Chair were requested from those attending.

  • Fewer than hoped for less experienced ringers but those turning out to offer support was extremely good
  • The final ring was well attended
  • The earlier start was welcomed
  • The meeting was brisk and businesslike
  • A longer trial would be required to decide on any permanent changes
  • It was suggested that the District needed to provide things that ringers wanted and not attempt to persuade them to attend what was considered they needed
  • If the towers unable to attend the ADM could give their reasons for not showing and suggest activities which might help their members, meetings might be better attended.
  1. Acceptance of 2019 Half-Yearly Minutes. Whitchurch 1.7.19

The minutes copies of which had been distributed previously were agreed.

Proposed – Ros Brandwood              Seconded – Helen Thomas           All in agreement.

Signed by PN (Chair)

 

  1. Matters Arising

a. Risk Assessments

PN has written a risk assessment plan for Whitchurch.  He is willing to share his plan with anyone wanting to complete their own.

b. Striking Competition

Little positive interest has been shown by those who have discussed it.  Further discussion is required to find out what would be worth organising.

c. Aird and Gosling Challenge Cups

Despite several attempts the whereabouts of these cups has not been established.  MH will continue to follow this up.

d. District Outing

The outing to mid-Hampshire was well attended but daylight was poor and next year it was thought bringing it forward 2 or three weeks would help to overcome this.  All towers booked were attended.

7. Officers’ Reports for 2019.

a.Chair, Peter Niblett

Recruitment and Teaching

Following the Guild education meeting in September 2019 the general consensus was that

  • whole day courses were too long .
  • work covered was not followed up on return to the various Districts.

As a result one whole day course will replace the current four and will be aimed at more experienced ringers.

Districts need to evaluate their own needs and run their own training with support provided by the Education Committee if requested.

PN thanked the Ringing Masters, Helen Piper and Tim Pink for their dedication and the other officers on the District committee.

b. Secretary, Maggie Hiller

The overall number of ringers has remained much the same for weekly tower practices and monthly District practices.  A small group of very supportive towers attend all DPs and our Ringing Masters have decided to concentrate their efforts within this group in 2020.

Groups of towers have combined resources to strengthen ringing numbers on practise nights.  Tangley, Kingsclere and the Wallops have regular combined practices with the support of their local towers.  Quarter peals and other dedicated ringing along with weddings have benefitted from this local support.  Visiting groups have also rung QPs.

Dedicated ringing from several towers in the District showed solidarity with the people of France following the Notre Dame fire.

Highclere reports that ill health and the sad loss of Maurice Dodd has reduced their band.  They would welcome new recruits.

The S.M.B. outing to the Somerset Levels in August was an opportunity to catch up with former District ringers Charlie Hunt and John Simpson.

The Wallops are back to full strength with repairs to the 500 year-old tenor and the other bells at Over Wallop.

Ecchinswell hopes to complete the installation of their new ring of six this year.

A retired ringer at Whitchurch has donated a lovely, handmade working model of a bell.  The tower secretary believes he takes orders if other towers require a teaching aid.

Unfortunately, the District has to say goodbye to incumbents Craig Marshall at S.M.B., Hurstbourne Priors and Longparish and David Bartholomew at Burghclere, Newtown and Ecchinswell.  We wish them well.

Maggie Hiller Secretary

c. Treasurer, Ros Brandwood

The Treasurer reported on the accounts for the year ended 30th November 2019, copies of which had been distributed to the meeting.

It was noted that membership numbers and subscription income had decreased slightly, but subscription income was still over £1,000.  After deducting the amounts due to the Guild and other expenses, the District had sustained a small surplus of expenditure over income of £27.94 (a surplus income over expenditure of £150 in 2018).  The balance carried forward at the year-end was £1,432.37.

A “one-off” contribution of £151 had been made to the Guild’s WW1 project and, once again, the district had met the tower fees for the District outing (£100).  The training bursaries offered previously had not been taken up.

Adoption of the accounts was proposed by Gill Gardner, seconded by Helen Piper and agreed by the meeting.

d. Ringing Masters, Helen Piper and Tim Pink

Many practices went well however this year the Ringing Masters have decided to limit the venues to the towers which most support the monthly event.

PN agreed this would be a sensible option and that persuading those ringers who rarely attended DPs required a different solution.

It was suggested that varying the times and days of DPs might encourage others to attend.

Surprise practices are held on the second week of each month.  The timetable for 2020 will be given out at the Newbury Branch in March.  Mike Till will send one to the Andover District.

All towers have received a copy of the District’s 2020 monthly practices.  The DP for the Andover District will be held on Wednesday August 5th.

  1. Election of Officers

 ‘Three District officers are to be elected for a term of two years on a rolling basis from 2018’

Year 1 – Chair, Vice Ringing Master, Treasurer

Year 2 – Vice Chair, Secretary, Ringing Master.

2020 is Year 1- Officers to be elected:

Chair (currently Peter Niblett)

As there were no new nominations Peter has agreed to carry on for another year and was elected.

Vice Ringing Master (currently Tim Pink)

As there were no new nominations Tim has agreed to carry on for another year and was elected.

Treasurer (currently Ros Brandwood)

As there were no new nominations Ros has agreed to carry on for another year and was elected.

The 2019 Secretary 

 MH wished to stand down at the last ADM.  She will be absent for the Half-yearly meeting this year and would be very happy if someone would consider taking the minutes for this event.

As there were no new nominations Maggie has agreed to carry on for one further year.

  1. Appointments

Independent Examiner (currently Carol Waller)

Carol has very kindly agreed to continue in this post and was appointed.

2 Guild Exec Reps (currently District Secretary and Mike Winterbourne)

MH to continueLucy Hopkins Till very kindly volunteered to attend these meetings as the other Guild Exec Rep.  Both appointed.

 

District Forum Reps (currently Brian Oakes and Helen Thomas)

Both Brian and Helen have agreed to continue and was appointed.

  • Election of New Members

 

Surname Forename Tower Proposed by Seconded by Membership type
Pearce Debbie Goodworth Clatford Max Roberts Angela Rogers Probationer
Freegarde Tim Goodworth Clatford Max Roberts Angela Rogers Probationer
Sketchley Chris Highclere Mike

Hopkins Till

Lucy

Hopkins Till

Probationer
Latter Richard Kingsclere Maggie Hiller Helen Piper Probationer
Hudson John Kingsclere Tim Pink Janet Larkins Probationer
Donkin Richard Nether Wallop Ken Porter Jamie Biles Probationer

Proposed – Peter Niblett            Seconded- Ros Brandwood

  • Proposals

Final submission for any new proposals need to be presented to the secretary at least one month prior to the ADM.  (12.12.2018)

None forthcoming.

  1. Forthcoming Events

Monthly District Practices:

See Ringing Masters report.

A list of DPs is attached.  The date for attending the cathedral in August has been set for Wednesday 5th August.

 Annual District Outing 2020

PN has very kindly volunteered to organise this but people must bear in mind it can be a long and drawn out process if responses from towers are slow.  Peter is often away and it may take time.

Education Days: Christine Knights-Whittome

Christine’s comments very much reflect those of PN Item 7b.  She reported that the half-day events were very popular.  ‘Raising and Lowering’ in particular for which there is still a waiting list.

The September meeting felt that to use resources most efficiently District ringing masters needed to find out for themselves what ringers really wanted by contacting their own towers. If support for training events is needed then it can be provided with the help of the Education committee.  Follow up practices are essential if progress is to be made and DRMs need to accommodate this in their planning,

  • Guild Master’s Report

The time and effort put in by those ringers who teach often surprises learners.  Tutors do it because they want to and taking on the job isn’t as scary as you might think.

There are two Guild projects which some of you may like to be involved with especially if you have expertise in photography or sound recording.

The Guild, under the supervision of Alan Yalden, wants to create photographic and oral archives of peals rung in the Guild.

Alan requires:

  • current photographs of peal boards- many of which hang in your towers
  • contacts to collect and sort the photos
  • advice on how the best types of sound recordings can be achieved
  • sound recordings of the bells

If anyone would like to be involved please contact Peter Jordan.

10 Salisbury Gardens          Phone:07583 356936      Email: petejordan.wp@talktalk.net

Basingstoke

RG22 6NT

 

14. AOB

a. Each tower is required to inform the editor of the Guild Report how many copies are required by them this year.

Please contact Ros Brandwood with your total.  ros.brandwood@btinternet.com

Phone: 01635 48937

b. 2020 ADM Venue

Eve Lind Smith, explained that Hurstbourne Priors which was to be the venue for the next District ADM in January 2021 has only 2 ringers and is badly placed to hold the event.

She suggested Longparish as an alternative.  As a six-bell tower it might appear less intimidating to the less experienced ringers we have been trying to encourage to attend today (currently it is only 8 bell towers that hold ADMs).

Most thought this a suitable alternative.  Eve will enquire at Longparish to find out if the ringers are amenable to this.

Meeting closed at 4.34pm

Dates of next meetings:  Half-yearly – Whitchurch on Monday 6th July 2020

2020 ADM at Hurstborne Priors on Saturday 9th January 2021 (provisional)

Leave your comment on this page.....

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.