Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers
Unconfirmed Minutes of the Quarterly District Meeting held on Saturday 11 August 2018 in the Churchyard, the Parish Church of St John the Baptist, New Alresford.
- Chairman’s Welcome. The Chairman, John Croft, opened the meeting at 12.47 p.m. with a welcome to those present and thanks to the Revd Myles for the use of the bells of New and Old Alresford, to Elizabeth Johnson for securing the use of the John Pearson Hall and to Bruce Purvis, District Secretary, for devising and checking the route of the planned walk to Old Alresford.
- Attendance. The following nine District members signed the attendance register (representing five towers with one member unattached): Tessa and Tony Smith (Hursley), Stephanie Hodnett, Elizabeth Johnson and Ian Redway (New Alresford), Rodney Skinner (Ropley), Bruce Purvis (Winchester Cathedral), Christine Knights-Whittome (Wonston) and John Croft (unattached).
- Apologies for Absence. Apologies were received from Drew Craddock (Hursley), Sue Spurling (King’s Somborne), Charlotte and Jonathan Smith (Kings Worthy), Andrew Johnson (New Alresford), Andrew Glover (Romsey), Sue Craddock and Jenny Watson (Sparsholt), Gerry Cornick and Paul Fitzgerald (Wonston) and Joyce Croft (unattached).
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting. The Secretary apologised for the fact that the appendix to the minutes of the Quarterly District Meeting, held on 12 May in Cheriton Village School and listing the personnel of the Striking Competition Teams, was missing, and stated his intention to complete the lists for the record. The minutes of the Meeting were adopted on the proposal of the Secretary, seconded by Elizabeth Johnson as a true record.
- Matters Arising. Minute 6, ‘Matters arising’, 15: AOB item 6, on a bell-maintenance course. Elizabeth Johnson reported that Roger Booth had been approached and was amenable to the suggestion that he arrange and deliver such a course.
- Confirmation of belfry elections
Juliet Wolf of Winchester Cathedral on 3 June 2018, proposed by Caroline
Fairley, seconded by Bruce Purvis.
Nathan G Smith of New Alresford on 13 July 2018, proposed by Ian Redway,
seconded by Elizabeth Johnson.
Elaine Pickering and Paul Tanner of Sparsholt on 30 July 2018, proposed by
Jenny Watson, seconded by John Cleverley.
Janet Ryan of Wonston on 4 August 2018, proposed by Paul Fitzgerald, seconded
by Gerry Cornick.
– all confirmed on a show of hands.
- Election of new ringing members.
Alan Dixey, Sheila Dixey, Sara Hill and Robert Love of North Stoneham,
proposed by Stephanie Nicholls, seconded by Alison Martin.
Trudy Capeling of North Stoneham, proposed by Stephanie Nicholls, seconded by
Ben Bell of Micheldever, proposed by Mary Tiles, seconded by Edmund Wratten.
– all elected on a show of hands.
- Loss of members through Death. None advised
- Future Events.
i. District Practice, 21 August. The Secretary reported that he had enquired whether Twyford would be available, and had learned that only the Tower Captain would be around on that date. He was absolved of further efforts to find an alternative tower.
ii. Guild Education Day, 13 October. Christine Knights-Whittome advised that the Guild Education day, on Plain-hunting and Treble-ringing on five bells, on 13 October would be held at Church Oakley, in the Basingstoke District.
iii. District Autumn Outing 22 September or 20 October. The Secretary expressed a preference for the October date for the Outing, and Tony Smith requested that the date be put back by a week to avoid a clash with the Hursley Tower outing. The meeting approved the date of 27 October.
iv. Guild Education Day, 24 November. Christine Knights-Whittome advised the meeting that the subject of the Education Day at Sherfield English on 24 November would be Cambridge and London Surprise Minor.
- Any other business.
No other business was raised.
The meeting closed at 1.01 p.m.