Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers
Minutes of the Quarterly District Meeting held on Saturday 12 August 2017 in Houghton Village Hall.
- Chairman’s Welcome. The Chairman, John Croft, supported by the Secretary, Bruce Purvis, opened the meeting at 12.45 p.m. with a welcome to those present and thanks to the incumbents for the use of their bells, and to Bob Gosse for securing the use of the Village Hall.
- Attendance. The following 13 District members signed the attendance register (representing 7 towers with one member unattached): Bob Gosse (Houghton), Christine and Ian McCallion, Pam and Richard Thompson (Hursley), Charlotte, Imogen and Jonathan Smith (Kings Worthy), Mary Tiles (Micheldever), Jenny Watson (Sparsholt), Bruce Purvis (Winchester Cathedral), Christine Knights-Whittome (Wonston) and John Croft (unattached).
- Apologies for Absence. Apologies were received from Nicola Plummer (Barton Stacey), Tony Smith (Hursley), Sue Spurling (King’s Somborne), the entire Lockerley and East Tytherley Band, Andrew Johnson (New Alresford), Andrew Glover (Romsey), Rodney Skinner (Ropley), Paul Fitzgerald (Wonston) and Joyce Croft (Unattached).
- Minutes of the Previous Meeting. The minutes of the Quarterly District Meeting held on 13 May in the Candover Valley Club, were adopted on the proposal of Pam Thompson, seconded by Jenny Watson as a true record.
- Matters Arising. Minute 5, ‘Matters arising’, on the distribution of membership certificates. An enquiry from Jonathan Smith elicited a further abject apology from the Secretary for his lack of progress in the matter,.
- Confirmation of belfry elections
Michael Woodall of Houghton on 10 July 2017 proposed by Mike Hayward, seconded by Bob Gosse;
Clare Thomson and Alex Lawrence of Kings Somborne on 7 August 2017, proposed by Sue Spurling, seconded by Gerald Lambert;
– all confirmed on a show of hands.
- Election of new ringing members.
Jenny Hebburn and Peter Jenkins of Broughton, proposed by Mike Hayward, seconded by Bob Gosse;
Katie Hinds of Cheriton proposed by Craig Robb, seconded by Bruce Purvis;
– all elected on a show of hands.
- Loss of members through Death. None advised
- Future Events.
i. District Outing, 23 September. The Secretary requested that the District Outing be put back to 28 October, as he had not had time to make preparations for an outing in the planned date of 23 September. The meeting granted the request.ii. Guild Education Day, 4 November. Christine Knights-Whittome advised that the Guild Education day, on Stedman Triples, on 4 November would be held at Milford-on-Seaiii. Romsey Show, 9 September. In response to a written request from John Palk for help at the Romsey Show on 10 September, Pam Thompson and Bob Gosse offered to help in the morning, and John Croft offered to help in the afternoon.iv. District Ringing Festival, 13-29 October. Jonathan Smith enquired what was the nature and purpose of the Ringing Festival: the Secretary explained that it was an annual period designated for towers throughout the district to ring quarter-peals and peals as a way of encouraging interest in and opportunity and support for achievements in ringing at all levels, and for publicising these achievements.
- Any other business.
i. Jenny Watson commented that the increased support for local towers through more frequent District Practices was much appreciated.
ii. The Secretary reminded the meeting that forthcoming reductions in print-runs of future editions of the Annual Report meant that members needed to consider whether they wanted their own paper copy of the report from 2018 onwards. He urged tower representatives to put the word round to members to raise awareness of the change.
iii. Bob Gosse asked if there was a way in which his members – the ringers for Broughton, Houghton and Mottisfont – could be kept informed of news, and could provide information at short notice throughout the district. He was advised that they should apply for membership of the Yahoo! Groups WIN-PORT BELLRINGERS group.
The meeting closed at 1.03 p.m.