Please see information below from Heritage Open Days about the start of registration for their Open Days 7-10 September 2017, Although we are not working with them directly this year they have retained the bell theme and logo and you can record that there is a ringing event if you are doing that this year. Many towers found last year that this was a great opportunity to raise the profile of ringing within their area and some even recruited new ringers so do go for it!
With all good wishes,
Public Relations Officer
Central Council of Church Bell Ringers
Registered Charity number 270036
Hello! We’re delighted to declare that registration is now OPEN! So who will be first to sign up their event this year? We can’t wait to hear what new stories and sites you have to share!
Annie, Sarah, Annabelle – Your HODs team
Register your event
All the things you need for registration are in the Organiser Area. You can access this through the website with your login. Your username will be your email address, and if you’ve forgotten your password there’s a link to reset it on the login page.
- Insurance: please be aware that our policy doesn’t renew until April and we are currently negotiating new terms that should be more favourable. This means that the current summary details are an indication only. As soon as we have the full details we will let everyone know and re-check with those of you who have requested cover.
- Deadlines: 1 May – full promotional support / 1 August – final deadline for events requiring HODs insurance. Remember the sooner you register your event the more support we can offer you – particularly for press coverage. The event directory will go live on the website in mid-July.
- Taken part before? Then you can just update and re-submit the details of your previous entry. You’ll find them in the Archive section of My Events in the Organiser Area.
- Media highlights: Annabelle (see below!) is already working on the press campaign so if you are NEW, have a highlight in mind or if you have a great image, let her know (email@example.com)
- Registration tips: We’re aiming to speed up the registration process for you all this year by no longer checking entries that don’t require our insurance. For an overview of the process see our registration tips with a handy flowchart for reference.
Take action! Login to the Organiser area now to register.
Tips for area coordinators/promoters
There are lots of handy tools and documents for you in the Organiser area:
- You can print off pre-completed registration forms to send out to individual sites from the My Events section.
- You can download some handy documents in the Useful stuff section including a template letter to encourage private home owners to open.
- Our introductory ‘Get Involved’ leaflet can be downloaded from the website or we can post you some copies.
- You can see who else was involved last year, and who is registering this year by using the searches in the HODs Community section.
- LGBTQ: To mark the 50th anniversary of the partial decriminalisation of homosexuality, you may want to highlight local stories from this community.
- Heritage & Nature: HODs is part of the wider European Heritage Days, which this year are celebrating the theme Heritage & Nature. Is there a green space you could be opening up? Or, does your town have a particular connection to nature that you could showcase?
- 50th anniversary of conservation areas: Is there a local conservation area you could animate? Or, is there a chance to look at how conservation works in your town?
We’ll be posting some more tips and ideas for refreshing your programme in the next couple of weeks…so watch the website!
We’re thrilled to say Annabelle Thorpe has joined us as National Media Manager for 2017! Many of you will remember Annabelle from her work with the festival in 2013-15. She’s an accomplished travel writer and novelist, loves HODs and is great fun! She’s already cooking up an exciting strategy and looks forward to hearing all about your plans.
Connect with other organisers
- There’s still a few spaces at our Organiser Fairs in Liverpool (22nd March) and Newcastle (5th April). A great chance to share skills and swap ideas!
- Don’t forget you can search the wider database for inspiration in the HODs Community section of the Organiser area. And there’s a discussion forum where you can discuss issues big and small, and share tips directly with each other, rather than waiting for us to connect you.