Whilst occurring outside our Guild, this may be of interest to people wondering “how can I restart ringing at an under-used tower?” RM
Eleanor Wallace Writes:
As some of you may know, I have been working with Mike Pitman recently to try and formulate a plan to get the practices and quarter peal nights up and running at Kingston again. They are such a beautiful ring of bells, and being a Kingston ringer myself for years I hate to see them not being rung as much as they should and going to waste.
As I have finally finished university and returned to the area I now have time to dedicate myself to re-establishing a regular practice night. However, I need as much support from everyone as I can and am asking for your help. Mike and I have come up with a concept of having two practice nights and two quarters a month on a friday so that the bells are rung every week, and we hope that it at least one night a month may appeal to all ringers of any standard, so that people don’t feel pressurised to dedicate themselves every single week.
The below is the monthly structure which I am trying to introduce, and I would love to hear what you guys think, advice etc as have never done anything like this before.
From Friday 3rd March practice nights and quarter peal nights will be resuming at Kingston from 7:30 – 9:00 pm, and we would really love for you to join us. We have a lovely sounding and very easy-going ring of ten bells (tenor 26-3-16) and we want to get them ringing regularly again with the long-term aim
of becoming a supportive teaching tower. We are aiming to create a monthly structure that caters for ringers of all abilities; whether you are a called change ringer or a surprise ringer we hope to provide something for everyone.
1st Friday of the Month – Open Practice Night
Any ringer of any ability who is interested in getting practice at ten bell ringing is more than welcome. Ringing will range from Rounds and Called Changes to Plain Caters and Royal, as well as any six to eight bell ringing if its requested. Whatever you’re learning, come along! Any more advanced ringers who can help out will also be very much appreciated too.
2nd Friday – Advanced Ten Bell Practice
For ringers who want to challenge themselves learning Surprise Royal or just want to keep the cobwebs off. We will be practicing the Standard Eight Surprise Royal methods (and others as time goes on) with a special method to focus on every week.
3rd Friday – Open Quarter Peal
Whatever the method or number of bells, if you fancy ringing a quarter peal then let us know and we will try to organise it for you. This night is aimed at giving people of all standards quarter peal practice and achieving firsts in method etc. Just pop an email to Eleanor Wallace (form below)
4th Friday – Advanced Quarter Peal
We will be working through the Standard Eight Surprise Royal (and others afterwards) quarter peals. If you’re interested in getting involved, achieving firsts in Surprise Royal etc. just send an email to Eleanor:
- Peal in memory of Corporal Herbert HoptroughWinchester & Portsmouth Diocesan GuildPortsea, HampshireSt MaryWednesday, 20 September 2017 in 3:10 (17–0–7 in F)5152 Menin Road Ridge Surprise Major1Ian J Carey2 James A Hodkin3 Paul T Young4 Gregory J M Jones5 James W G Twiney6 Edward P D Colliss (C)7 R Mark Esbester8 David J MattingleyRemembering Corporal Herbert Hoptrough, who rang at this church, killed at the Battle of Menin Road Ridge 100 years ago today.First peal in the method:Menin Road Ridge Surprise Majork -34-14-12-16-12-58-12-184 people like this — Like this
- Inter-District 10 bell striking Competition PostponedHello all! Just to let you know, the Inter-District 10 bell competition will be postponed to the new year, to allow teams to prepare better and to get as many districts as possible entering. Details of the new date and other important information will be posted in due course.Greg Jordan, Strikig Competitions Committee
- Andover District Half-Yearly Meeting Mon 25th Sept 7pm Whitchurch
- No Practice at Romsey Abbey on 27th September
There will be no practice at Romsey Abbey on Wednesday 27th September.
This is due to maintenance work being carried out on the bells.
- Winchester District Practice – Barton Stacey – Wednesday 4th October 7.30-9.00pm
- No Practice at Overton 6th or 13th October
There will be no practice at Overton on 6th or 13th October.Adrian Lewis
- Helpers Needed for Stedman Doubles Practice – Nov 11th, 10.30, at HerriardDear All,By popular demand, I’m organising another Stedman Doubles practice.The practice is to be held on Saturday 11th November 2017 10:30-13:00 at Herriard.For this event to be successful we need volunteers to help the students.Please help if you can. Your presence will be much appreciated for a successful practice.Regards,
- 6 Ringers needed at Hawkley – 1.30pm Sat 23rd Sept
Hi all,We have a wedding at Hawkley this Saturday 23rd at 1.00pm and are in need of 6 ringers for this.I fully appreciate that this is very short notice and if any of you can help please let me know asap. You would need to be at the church for 1.30pm,Cheers
- **RSVP** Sopley Minor Methods Practice Weds 27th Sept
Our next practice is currently scheduled for 27 September. Would you please let me know if you are likely to be there and what you would like to practice/ring so I can match objectives with capabilities?
I look forward to hearing from you.
- Could you be an Education Day Helper?
The Education Committee is indebted to its loyal band of experienced helpers, without whom we could not run these Education Days. If you, yourself, feel you could help on 14thOctober – even for part of the day – or might perhaps be able to help with courses in the future, then do please contact Sallie Ingram Joining Sallie’s Master List does not commit you to turning out for every course (!), but only when you are free and want to come.