WINCHESTER AND PORTSMOUTH DIOCESAN GUILD OF CHURCH BELL RINGERS
UNCONFIRMED MINUTES OF THE QUARTERLY MEETING HELD ON SATURDAY 13 AUGUST 2016 IN AWBRIDGE VILLAGE HALL.
The Chairman, John Croft, supported by the Treasurer (and Acting Secretary), Tony Smith, opened the meeting at 12.57 p.m. with a welcome to those present and thanks to the Incumbents for the use of their bells.
- The following 22 District members (representing 12 towers) and two guests were present: Diana Day (Dallington), Christine & Peter Hill, Janice Higgins, Christine & Ian McCallion, Jenifer Smith and Tony Smith (Hursley), Bob Gosse and Jennifer Hebburn (Houghton), Sue Spurling (King’s Somborne), Jen Churchill, Gary Davies and Carol Higgins (Lockerley & East Tytherley), Mary Tiles (Micheldever), Caroline & Martin Daniels (Romsey), Wendy Nash (Sherfield English), Jenny Watson (Sparsholt), Charlotte Colliss (Swanmore), John Colliss (Winchester Cathedral), Christine Knights-Whitome (Wonston) and Joyce & John Croft (unattached).Apologies for absence were received from Peter Willis (Candover Valley), Pam & Richard Thompson (Hursley), John Palk (Lockerley & East Tytherley), Elizabeth Johnson (New Alresford), Andrew Glover (Romsey), Rodney Skinner (Ropley), Bevis Clarke Smith and Bruce Purvis (Winchester Cathedral) and Hugh Hill (Winchester College).
Minutes of the previous meeting.
The minutes of the Quarterly District Meeting held on 14 May in the Garden of the Old Rectory, Easton, were adopted on the proposition of Tony Smith, seconded by Sue Sprurling, and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
The Treasurer said that the District Webmaster, Andrew Glover, had written to the District Secretary about the item under AOB concerning the District Website, pointing out that he can only post items to the website that have been sent to him. If he is informed that an event needs to be added or changed, he will be pleased to post it on the website.
Election of members.
Keith Bartle was elected a ringing member of Sparsholt on the proposition of Jenny Watson, seconded by John Cleverley.
Loss of members through death.
- Jen Churchill said that the Young Ringers’ Outing on 2 September would be the tenth annual event that she had organised and would be her last. On behalf of the District, Tony Smith thanked Jen for all her work.
- Christine Knights-Whitome said there was no Guild Education event on 3 September.
- In reply to a question from the Chairman, Caroline Daniels said more helpers would be welcome at the Romsey Show on 10 September.
Any other business.
- Tony Smith advised that the Google Groups “Winchester District Bell Ringers” group was little used and was being closed down. Checks would be made that members of that group were also on the Yahoo! Groups WIN-PORT-BELLRINGERS group.
- The Chairman presented certificates for the District Striking Competitions on 14 May.
The meeting closed at 1.07 p.m.