PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE WEBSITE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE IS A PROTOTYPE ONLY – THE EXISTING GUILD WEBSITE IS STILL OPERATIONAL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
I’m delighted to announce:
The communications committee has made good progress building the new Guild Website. The following things are now in place:
- We have definitely decided to use WordPress software to build and manage the site, because it is reasonably simple to manage, and we want to make it as easy as possible for committee members, tower contacts, and event organisers to get their news published quickly and organised into suitable pages on the site.
- We have decided to use Google Calendars to manage the events. These have been extensively trialed in some Districts, and make it easy for districts to manage their own calendars if they wish, and also share them freely online.(we’ll also help Districts who want to submit their information in other forms)
- There is now a working prototype website at www.wpbells.wordpress.com which contains current news, tower information and district information FOR SOME AREAS. We have built enough now, to proceed to the next stage, which is getting feedback and ideas from the different committees. To trigger the creation of your District/Tower/Committee is very easy – just send in some news!
- What Do the developers need?
- If you already manage your events using google calendar (or another ical such as hotmail or outlook) then can we have a link please? We don’t want to re-invent any wheels! It could be your tower events or district events…..
- The website is designed as a showcase for news – there is a huge amount going on, across our 200+ towers, and it can handle it all, displaying your news next to YOUR page so you can keep your web presence fresh. The impression any visitor will get, visiting the site, is “there’s a real buzz here” – great for recruitment!!! So please send your news, lots of it! Photos and videos are particularly useful.
- As well as geographical zones, there are areas of interest such as Young Ringers, or Videos – ideas for more of these please! What do you want to see?
- If you are in charge of a District or tower, tell us the content, and images, you want us to use. It’s up to you to decide the look and feel for your area. If you want more than one page that’s fine, it may take a little longer, because the menu management gets a bit trickier.
- If you find a mistake on a page use the REPLY box at the bottom to let us know.