A conference to discuss the future of Change Ringing with particular emphasis on the need to attract and retain young ringers was held at Wellesbourne, Warwickshire on Nov 12th 2011.
Full notes on the conference are available here:
- changeringing for the future notes 2011 wellesbourne pdf or
- changeringing for the future notes 2011 wellesbourne doc format.
A Few Points from the Discussion
This is just a selection. A wide variety of good points and suggestions was made at the conference.
- There is a problem with the decline in numbers of ringers, especially younger ringers.
- Some organisations are flourishing (eg Guiding).
- Guiding offers young people challenges, the opportunity to learn new skills, team work, friends, fun, involvement in a national organisation.
- Local leadership is important, engaging with the church and community and selling the benefits (maths, music, sport, leisure).
- It was suggested that we might be organised and funded nationally and transferred from a representative body to a service organisation.
- New technolgy could be used – video links, Twitter and Facebook, mobile phones.
- It was felt that good publicity and excellent training were vital for improvement and advancement of The Exercise overall.